Are you looking for an even healthier version of a salad? Then consider making a meatless taco salad recipe. The fact that it does not use meat makes it perfect for the health-conscious. It also works well for those who intend to adhere to a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle.
If you are still unfamiliar with taco salad, then take note that it is a famous Mexican dish. It is popular not only in Mexico but also in different parts of the world because of its delectable taste. Often made of shredded iceberg lettuce, guacamole, tomato-based sauce or salsa, and shredded cheese then served along with a tortilla shell, this dish continues to earn the interest of many food lovers from different parts of the globe.
Taco salad is also very versatile that you can create different variations of it. It is even possible to go for a meatless variety. If you plan to prepare a meatless taco salad, then the following recipe will surely satisfy your cravings.
It uses farro for the taco filling/meat. It refers to a healthy grain, which serves as a great replacement for ground beef in this recipe. Combine that with the great-tasting and creamy lime dressing and you will surely enjoy it.
Farro Taco Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup of farro – Cook it based on the instructions stated in the package. Drain before using it.
- 2 tsp. each of ground cumin and chili powder
- ½ cup mild salsa
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- Some salt
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
Creamy Lime Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup each of water and fresh lime juice
- ½ cup raw cashews – Soak the cashews in water for around four to eight hours first then rinse before using.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 chopped medium-sized heads of Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup tortilla chips (broken)
- 1 diced large-sized tomato
- 1 15-oz. can of black beans – Make sure to drain and rinse them.
- 1 cup fire-roasted corn kernels
- ½ cup green onions (sliced)
- Prepare the farro taco filling. You can do that by mixing the cooked farro, chili powder, mild salsa, cayenne pepper, paprika, and cumin together in a medium-sized pan. Set the pan over medium heat.
- Cook the mixture for around five minutes or until it is properly heated through. Do not forget to stir the mixture frequently. Season it with salt to taste. Once done, set this cooked mixture aside.
- Prepare the dressing. All you have to do to make the dressing is to put all its ingredients in your food processor or blender. Blend the ingredients until fully smooth.
- Prepare and assemble the salad. What you should do is to get four plates and divide the lettuce there. Top each lettuce with the black beans, tomato, corn, farro, green onions, and tortilla chips.
- Drizzle the creamy lime dressing on top of each plate of salad.
The good thing about this meatless taco salad recipe is that you can garnish it using different ingredients. You can serve it with salsa, lime wedges, cilantro, and/or guacamole if you want.