One of the favorite desserts of many is a delicious pie. You can enjoy different versions of it, allowing you to take advantage of the flavors and health benefits of many tropical fruits. The reason is that it lets you enjoy an endless combination of fillings primarily made of fruits. Combined with the perfect crust, you can make a flavorful pie that you can serve to your family or your guests during any special occasion.
A great version of this famous dessert is the blueberry and apple pie. The inclusion of blueberries into this pie can significantly enhance its flavor as well as nutrition profile. The same is what apples can provide this dessert considering how healthy this fruit is. Moreover, combining the sweet taste of blueberries with the somewhat crunchy nature of apples can make the pie obtain a more balanced texture.
Here’s a simple blueberry apple pie recipe you want to prepare at home:
Pie crust ingredients:
- 2 and ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsps. caster sugar
- 1 cup butter – Cut the cold butter into small cubes.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup cold water – Add some ice cubes to it, too.
- 4 sliced and peeled apples
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsps. cornstarch
- ½ of a lemon (juiced)
- Optional ingredient – 1 tsp. almond extract
- Make the pie crust first by putting sugar, salt, and flour in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the cubed butter then press it using a fork to distribute it evenly. Try to do this step quickly to ensure that the dough stays cold. If the butter is too hard, then soften it a bit by pressing with your fingers.
- Mix in the vanilla extract. Pour some of the ice water. Use the fork to mix everything. Continue to add water gradually and mix every now and then. One sign that you have used enough water is when you have an easier time bringing the dough together with your hands – not sticky but can be formed to a rough ball.
- Once you have made the dough, divide it in half. Form balls from it that are also flattened a bit. Use cling film to wrap every formed ball then store in your fridge for at least an hour.
- Prepare the filling by thawing apples, blueberries, sugar or honey, cornstarch, almond extract, and lemon juice in a bowl. Fold gently to coat the fruits evenly. Use a cling film to wrap the bowl then store in your fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- After that, you can take the bowl with fruits out of the fridge. Drain the excess liquid in a saucepan then simmer this using medium heat. Wait for the liquid in the pan to thicken into syrup. Pour this thickened liquid into the bowl with the filling ingredients then fold again.
- Preheat your oven then put half of the crust on a slightly floured surface. Roll out the crust until it is around ½-inch thick. Put it in your pie dish then cut out any excess surrounding the edges. Distribute the prepared filling evenly on top.
- Roll the remaining half of the crust into the surface. Design it based on your preference. After that, put it over the filling. You may want to brush it lightly with egg or milk and pour some sugar over it.
- Bake for around 45 minutes to one hour. One sign that it is done is when its crust turns to golden brown. The pie’s filling should be bubbling, too.
- Let the pie cool down for 30 to 60 minutes. Serve.
To make the best results when preparing this pie, the dough ingredients you intend to use should stay cold. It helps in creating a tender and flaky crust. Adding an egg wash on top can also make the crust obtain that shiny and rich golden-brown color.