Strengthening your immune system is probably the best thing that you can do for yourself right now that the world is experiencing a pandemic. With a strong immune system, you will have a strong defense against infections, viruses, and other illnesses. You can start boosting and strengthening your immunity now with the help of these simple and easy-to-follow tips:
- Stick to a healthy diet – Of course, your diet contributes a lot to building strong immunity. Start making some healthy changes on your daily diet. Make sure that your meal plans consist of fruits, veggies, whole grains, healthy fats, lean protein, and legumes. Healthy foods can supply your immune system with the level of energy it needs as well as sufficient amounts of micronutrients.
- Get adequate sleep – Another way to strengthen your immune system naturally is to get sufficient sleep. Note that your body needs enough hours of sleep for it to play vital functions, like creating molecules designed to fight infections. Lack of sleep can even increase your vulnerability to illnesses once exposed to viruses, like those that trigger colds.
- Exercise – Increasing your physical activities also helps boost your immune system naturally. Through regular exercise, you can improve your overall health and ensure that your immune system continues to function smoothly. Among the exercises that can help you are yoga and Tai Chi. The good thing about these exercises is that they can also lessen your stress and improve your flexibility, balance, and strength.
- Fight stress – Note that stress can drastically affect your health, especially your immune system. Long-lasting and frequent stress can even cause your body to initiate a stress response, which can hamper your immunity and boost your chance of dealing with an illness or infection. Start learning simple ways to relieve stress and keep it under control. Some of the stress-reduction activities you can do are meditation, deep breathing, yoga, and regular exercise.
- Increase your intake of healthy fats – It is also advisable to increase your intake of healthy fats, particularly those found in salmon and olive oil. Healthy fats can improve the immune response of your body to pathogens.
Most sources of healthy fats have plenty of anti-inflammatory properties that aid in fighting harmful viruses and bacteria that can cause diseases. You can also beat inflammation by taking in more Omega-3 fatty acids found in chia seeds and salmon.
- Lessen your intake of foods rich in sugar – Note that refined carbs and added sugar tend to contribute to obesity and excess weight gain. The problem is that this excess weight, especially obesity, can make you more prone to various ailments. Your risk of dealing with the flu is even higher if you are obese or overweight.
With that in mind, you have to exert effort to curb your sugar intake. Doing so can reduce inflammation and support weight loss, resulting in reduced risk of suffering from various health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes.
- Hydrate – Make sure that you are fully hydrated, too. Water can support a strong and healthy immune system. It is because lymph, which refers to the fluid found in the body’s circulatory system, consists mainly of water. Lymph carries vital immune cells that can fight infection. If you are not well-hydrated, then it is highly likely that the lymph will slow down its movements, weakening your immunity.
There are plenty of dietary and lifestyle changes you can make today to keep your immunity strong. By doing such changes, you will not only boost your immune system but also reinforce the defenses of your body from dangerous pathogens.