A refreshing and fragrant chicken noodle soup, spicy chicken pho bowl is a perfect delicacy when you’re craving a warm, cozy bowl of flavorful noodles, abundance of fresh herbs, and lots of toppings. They come together in around 30 minutes and offer you a delicious dish to enjoy. This spicy chicken pho bowl recipe is great for pho beginners and cooks in an instant.
A rainy day is a pho day! One of my favorite foods to gobble on a rainy day is a warm, spicy chicken pho bowl. Loaded with noodles, shredded chicken, and lots of herbs and toppings, a big bowl pho is a heavenly treat to enjoy in the comfort of home. Also, it is a healthy, easy-to-cook meal that anyone can prepare in just a few minutes.
I tried the recipe on a rainy day when I was craving pho but also didn’t want to go out. So, I collected all the essential ingredients and started cooking the dish in my kitchen. Guess what? It came out exactly what I wanted it to be. Since then, I have made this easy chicken pho many times (some times, it wasn’t even raining).
Here, I am sharing the easiest recipe that leads to a healthy meal that is full of vibrant flavors.
- Brown rice noodles (2 cups)
- Chicken breasts (2 large)
- Olive oil
- Chopped red onion (one small)
- Chicken broth (3 cups)
- Star anise pods (5)
- Unpeeled ginger
- Cinnamon (one stick)
- Thai fish sauce (4 tablespoons)
Ingredients for Toppings
- Bean sprouts (2 cups)
- Sliced jalapeno peppers (2)
- Chopped scallions
- Sliced lemon
- Make sure brown rice noodles are cooked before using them for the dish.
- Use low sodium chicken broth. It can also be replaced with veggie broth.
- Crushed star anise can be used in place of whole star anise.
- Take a large pot and place it over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to it. After that, add chopped onions and ginger to the pot. Cook them for at least five minutes.
- Add water, broth, star anise, and cinnamon to the pot and stir the mix for a few minutes, or until everything is incorporated. Cover the pot and keep it on medium-low heat for around 20 minutes.
- Now, add salt, pepper, and fish sauce to the pot and cook it for five minutes. After that, remove the ginger, star anise, and cinnamon.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- In a bowl, add brown rice noodles and toppings. Now, pour the cooked broth into the bowl.
Spicy chicken pho is ready to be served! The recipe is ideal for three servings. You can make adjustments in ingredients as per your servings.
When you are telling others about how you cooked the dish, make sure you pronounce Fuh, not Fo. So, don’t wait for a rainy day, and make this delicious meal right away.
Share your experience in the comments section below. And, enjoy your spicy chicken pho bowl!