Your brain is one of the most important parts of your body. It plays a huge role in making your lungs breathe, your heart beat, and make you think, feel, and move. With that in mind, you have to exert an effort to make it in tip-top shape.
The best way to improve your brain function and health, and ensure that it continues to perform important mental tasks, like concentration and memory, is to eat the right foods. Among those foods that can boost brain health and function are:
- Oily and fatty fish – Being rich in Omega-3 fatty acid, oily and fatty fish, like mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna, can build important cell membranes, such as brain cells. With that, expect this food to help in improving the structure of neurons, or more specifically your brain cells. Omega-3 can also improve the flow of blood in your brain, which can lead to better thinking abilities and cognition.
- Berries – It is also advisable to include berries in your diet if you want to improve brain health and function. It is because flavonoids, the pigments responsible for the brilliant hues of berries, also aid in improving your memory. At least two servings of blueberries and strawberries every week can even help in delaying memory decline, even for those who are prone to having it.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains are also among those foods that can improve your focus and concentration. Note that just like other parts of your body, your brain can’t function without energy. It requires a good supply of energy for it to perform its important function of focusing and concentration. You can get that by eating whole grains with low-GI content regularly.
With that, the energy supplied by whole grains will be slowly released to your bloodstream, which can contribute to mental alertness the entire day. Inadequate consumption of healthy carbs, such as whole grains, can even cause irritability and brain fog. Choose brown whole grain cereals, though. Other choices include granary bread, pasta, and rice.
- Tomatoes – You can also improve brain function through the regular intake of tomatoes. It is because of the powerful antioxidants present in it, called lycopene. This antioxidant can protect your cells from free radical damage that might lead to dementia. Cook tomatoes with a bit of olive oil to improve the ability of your body to use and absorb the brain-boosting benefits of this food.
- Blackcurrants – This food can also lessen your stress and anxiety. It is rich in Vitamin C, which can strengthen your mental agility. The high Vitamin C content in blackcurrants can also prevent age-related brain degeneration, like Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Dark Chocolate – If you love sweets, then you will surely be delighted to know that dark chocolate can boost brain power and health. It is rich in flavonoids known for being strong antioxidants designed to improve the flow of blood to your brain and lessen inflammation.
Dark chocolate can fight oxidative stress and fatigue, too. It can also boost your mental alertness, focus, and mood. Furthermore, it is rich in zinc, fiber, and magnesium – all of which can stimulate your brain.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is also a great contributor to your brain function. It is a versatile and colorful ingredient that you can use for your recipes while having the ability to bring out the best from your brain. It is rich in antioxidants that support proper brain function. Aside from that, it can stimulate cognitive function, memory, and brain’s oxygen intake. It can also strengthen your immunity.
Apart from including brain-boosting foods, it is also necessary to do regular exercise. Pairing up these foods with regular exercises can guarantee mental sharpness while also improving cognitive function, slowing down the process of mental aging, and make you process important information more efficiently. Such indicates that your brain is at its peak.