Radish is one of the most nutritious cruciferous vegetables that can benefit your body in several ways. Your regular consumption of it can heal symptoms of certain conditions, moisturize your skin, hydrate your body, and relieve constipation, among many others. It also contains plenty of vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial for your entire body and health, provided you incorporate it into your regular diet.
The following are some of the most remarkable nutritional benefits of eating radishes regularly:
- Supplies your body with Vitamin C – One advantage of consuming radishes regularly is that they can supply your body with Vitamin C. Even just half a cup of radish can supply your body with up to 14 percent of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C. As an antioxidant, this vitamin can fight free radicals present within your body.
See our recommended cooking class By Alicia Waters
It can also prevent possible damage to your cells triggered by environmental toxins, unhealthy lifestyle, and aging. Furthermore, a good supply of Vitamin C brought on by eating radishes can also help produce collagen, making your blood vessels and skin as healthy as possible.
- Improves the health of your digestive system – Just half a cup of radishes can already supply your body with one gram of fiber. This is good for your digestive system as fiber can bulk up your stool, promoting the smooth movements of your waste through your intestines and preventing constipation. Fiber also promotes weight loss, low cholesterol level, and proper control of your blood sugar.
Creating a juice out of radish also protects your gastric tissues and strengthens your mucosal barrier, thereby preventing gastric ulcers. This barrier can protect your intestines and stomach from unfriendly microorganisms and harmful toxins causing inflammation and ulcers. Aside from improving the health of your digestive system, radish can also benefit you by fixing acidity, nausea, gastric issues, and obesity, among many other digestive concerns.
- Protects your heart – Another nutrition benefit of radish is that it helps protect your heart and keep it functioning at its best. It is because of the high anthocyanin content of radish. With this benefit, you can also expect it to help in lowering your risk of suffering from cardiovascular ailments. It is also rich in folic acid, flavonoids, and Vitamin C – all of which can protect your heart.
- Regulates blood pressure – Making radish a part of your regular or daily diet can also contribute to regulating your blood pressure. It is because of its high potassium content, which can lower your blood pressure while also ensuring that your blood flow is in full control. This is beneficial, especially if you are prone to hypertension. Radish is also known for its cooling effects on the blood based on what Ayurveda teaches.
- Strengthens your immunity – Radish can also strengthen your immune system due to its high Vitamin C content. It can strengthen your immunity in the sense that you will feel fully protected from cough and the common cold. It also regulates inflammation, premature aging, and harmful free radical development. Just make sure to eat radish regularly to enjoy its numerous benefits for your immune system.
Radish is indeed one of the most nutritious vegetables you can eat every day. The red radish variety, for instance, is loaded with Vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6. It is also rich in fiber, potassium, antioxidants, calcium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and iron. All these nutrients can help ensure that your body will continue to be in excellent working condition.
See Related Article: Benefits of eating salmon skin