Celiac disease is a common disease and it is a condition with potential to cause a lot of side effects with negative symptoms. It is a medical condition that is caused by eating gluten. Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat and barley. The consumption of gluten causes triggers of a response from the immune system in the body and this causes inflammation in the body and damages the small intestine as well.
There are host of symptoms that come with this disease. The most common symptoms are:
- Diarrhea: This is one of the commonest symptoms and is also one of the first symptom a celiac patient will experience. Diarrhea is when a person stools very regularly, and it is often watery. This does not however mean that everybody that has diarrhea is suffering from celiac. There are a lot of other things that can cause diarrhea like food intolerance, infections and other intestinal problems.
- Bloating: This is another common issue with people that are suffering from celiac disease. This bloating is a result of inflammation in the digestive tract caused by this disease. Gluten can also cause bloating even in people without the celiac disease. So bloating does not categorically mean celiac disease. It can also be caused by digestive disorders, constipation, and bowel obstruction.
- Excess gas: A digestive problem common with people that have untreated celiac disease is excess gas. It might not be as common as diarrhea and bloating but people with celiac disease also report this problem. It can also be caused by indigestion, constipation, lactose intolerance etc.
- Fatigue: Fatigue and a drastic decrease in energy levels is another symptom of celiac disease. Celiac patients are known to suffer sleeping disorder which can lead to fatigue. Celiac disease when it is left untreated can also damage the small intestine. This may lead to deficiencies in minerals and vitamins which also contribute to fatigue. Depression, thyroid problems, and other infections that can cause fatigue.
- Weight loss: One of the earliest signs of celiac disease is a drastic loss of weight and the subsequent difficulty in putting on more weight. This problem is caused by the body’s inability to absorb more nutrient and the result of this is malnutrition and a drastic weight loss. After diarrhea and fatigue, weight loss is the commonest symptom of celiac disease. Wight loss can also be attributed to conditions like cancer, diabetes, thyroid problems and depression.
There are many other common symptoms associated with celiac disease like iron deficiency anemia, constipation, depression, itchy rash etc.
Managing Symptoms of Celiac Disease
Celiac disease is one of the few diseases that does not have a cure. It is something that the patient has to live with all their lives. However, this disease can be managed and the best way to manage the symptoms of this disease is by maintaining a diet that is free of gluten. Foods like pasta, beer, wheat, cakes, barley, cookies, pies, sauces etc. are not gluten-free. Therefore, it is more advisable that you should avoid them unless it is categorically tagged gluten-free.