Everything You Need To Know About Keto Diet
A keto diet is a low carb diet that allows the body to produce an alternative source of fuel for the body. These small molecules are known as ketones and the body makes use of them when the body lacks blood sugar. When you eat very minimal carbohydrate and a moderate protein, the liver is forced to create ketones out of body fats which then serves as fuel for the body. Diets that induce reactions like these are known as ketogen diet.
Benefits of Keto Diet
- It causes weight loss by reducing body fats.
- It can be used to treat type 2 diabetes.
- It also helps to cure other health related diseases like heart disease, acne, cancer, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, brain injuries etc.
Types of Keto Diets
There are different types of keto diets;
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): It is a high fat, moderate protein and very low carb diet. This diet typically has 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrate.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet has a period of about 5 days of low carb keto diet, followed by 2 days of high carb diet in alternating sequence.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet allows to add carbs to your meal around workouts.
- High protein ketogenic diet: This diet is very similar to the standard keto diet. The only difference is that it has more protein in it. The diet typically has 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.
Of these diet types, the most studied ones are the high protein ketogenic diet and the standard ketogenic diet. The other two diets, cyclical ketogenic diet and targeted ketogenic diet, are used mainly by athletes and bodybuilders. They are more advanced keto diet methods.
Foods to Not Eat
We all know what it is like to be dieting. It means that you have to eat some foods and avoid some others. In a keto diet, the foods that need to be reduced or cut off completely are;
- Sugary foods: Fruit juice, soda, smoothies, ice cream, candy, cake etc.
- Starchy food or grains: Rice, cereal, pasta etc.
- Fruit: You should avoid all fruits except berries.
- Alcohol: Alcohol have carb contents and this can throw you out of your ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are foods that have high sugar alcohols and can affect the ketone levels.
- Legumes or beans: Kidney, beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils etc.
- Tubers and root vegetables: Sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips, carrot etc.
Other foods to stay away from are fat products, sauces with unhealthy fat.
Food to Eat
Foods to eat majorly are
- Meat: Chicken, turkey, red meat etc.
- Fatty fish: Salmon, trout, mackerel and tuna.
- Eggs: Pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Unprocessed cheese: Goat, cheddar, cream, mozzarella or blue.
- Butter and cream
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, flax seeds, walnuts, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds.
- Healthy oils: Olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil.
- Avocados: Freshly made guacamole or whole avocados
- Low carb vegetables: Tomatoes, green vegetables, pepper, onions etc.
In conclusion, the good news is that your weight that has been going out of bound can easily be controlled by keto dieting.