The Proven Benefits of the Keto Diet
The keto diet is a popular diet plan nowadays because it carries plenty of benefits – one of which is that it supports weight loss. It is a high-fat and low-carb diet, which is quite similar to the low-carb and Atkins plans. Basically, the keto diet requires you to reduce your carb consumption then replace it with healthy fats. The reduced carb intake can bring your body to ketosis, which is a metabolic state.
To make the keto diet work, it helps to limit your carb intake to twenty to fifty grams daily. While this might be challenging at first, you will learn eventually that there are several nutritious foods that you can fit into this diet plan, including seafood, low-carb veggies, avocados, poultry, meat, and eggs.
The strict implementation of the keto diet will make your body more efficient in burning excess fats for energy. It also provides the following benefits:
- Curbs your appetite – One of the negative effects of dieting is that you will be prone to getting hungry most of the time. This is the major reason why people feel disappointed and give up on their dieting journey. This is not the case with the keto diet, though, as sticking to low-carb eating will lead to an automatic decrease in your appetite. Also, cutting carbs and increasing your fat and protein consumption will result in you eating fewer calories than usual.
- Promotes rapid weight loss – The keto diet also supports rapid weight loss. It is because it involves restricting your carb intake, so you can get into ketosis. This can lead to a significant body fat reduction and increase in muscle mass. What is even better about this diet plan is that it is easy to sustain the target weight you have already achieved. This means that you will not have a difficult time maintaining a healthy weight for quite a long time.
- Offers protection to Type 2 diabetes – Your decision to cut your carb intake every day by following the keto diet can also help manage diabetes or prevent it altogether. It is because once you reach ketosis, your blood sugar control will also be improved. This makes it a good diet plan for those who are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
- Improves the health of your liver – The buildup of fat in your liver can be linked to Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. The more serious and chronic cases of fatty liver disease may put a lot of damage to your liver. If you want to improve the health of your liver and lower your risk of suffering from fatty liver then the keto diet is good for you as it can help prevent its development.
- Improves the health of your heart – Your heart can also be benefited by following the keto diet. Just make sure that you follow this diet plan healthily and strictly. For instance, choose avocados as a source of healthy fat rather than pork rinds. You can expect the keto diet to improve your cardiovascular and heart health through the reduction of bad cholesterol level in your body.
- Protects brain functioning – The ketogenic diet is also popular for its neuroprotective benefits. These benefits are good for your brain as these support its proper function, making the diet plan helpful in preventing and treating brain-related conditions, like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. It can even help deal with sleep disorders. Furthermore, it can improve your cognitive functioning and alertness.
The ketogenic diet can indeed provide your body with a lot of favorable benefits. Just make sure that you follow the principles associated with it, including getting rid of processed and refined carbs. Also, make sure to talk to a nutritionist or your doctor before committing to this new diet plan, especially if you are diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, or hypoglycemia. You need a guarantee that it is safe for you.