Weight Loss is More About What You Eat
When it comes to losing weight, what you eat regularly matters a lot. Note that 75 percent of your weight loss journey should focus on eating the right foods to achieve the most favorable results. Although you also need to pair healthy eating with exercise, the latter only makes up 25 percent of it.
If you want to lose weight, therefore, then focus on eating smart. Strive for a healthier and more balanced diet plan composed of whole grain carbs, lean proteins, fruits, and veggies. Your desired weight loss is also achievable with the following tips related to the foods you eat:
- Avoid cutting calories too low – While you need to keep your calorie intake low, make sure that it is not too low that it might already result in a slower metabolism. An excessively low calorie intake might also lead to the loss of muscle mass.
To stick to a healthy calorie count every day, set an allowance of ten calories every pound of body weight. For example, if you weigh around 150 pounds then have a 1,500-calorie target. This will help you lose weight regardless of how little time you spent on exercise.
Try our Juice Diet: Jus By Julie
- Reduce starches (carbs) and sugars – This is one of the most important weight loss tips associated to eating. By cutting down your carb or starch and sugar consumption, you can also bring down your level of hunger, resulting in fewer calorie intake. It also allows your body to feed off your stored excess fats instead of having to burn carbs for energy.
What is even better about reducing your carb intake is that it brings down your insulin level. This leads to your kidneys shedding excess water and sodium from your body, further resulting in getting rid of unnecessary water weight and bloating. The significant reduction of sugar and carbs from your diet can even help you remove up to ten pounds of water weight and body fat within the first few weeks.
- Increase protein and healthy fat intake – Each meal should consist of one excellent source of protein, one source of healthy fat, and a low-carb veggie. Preparing each meal that way can instantly help you stick to the daily recommended carb intake of 20 to 50 grams. Foods rich in protein, like meat, seafood, fish, and eggs, can improve your metabolism. A diet rich in protein can also lessen your cravings as well as your obsessive thoughts regarding food.
As for fat, go for healthy sources, like coconut oil, butter, olive oil, and avocado oil. Do not forget to incorporate low-carb veggies, like cauliflower, broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce, and Brussels sprouts in your meals, too. By sticking to a diet composed of lean meat, healthy fat, and veggies, your body will receive all the essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber it needs.
- Eat foods rich in fiber – Make sure that you also add high-fiber foods into your daily diet. What is good about fiber is that it allows you to feel full fast and for a long period, making it suitable for weight loss. Among the great sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, wholegrain bread, lentils, peas, beans, brown rice and pasta, and oats.
- Get rid of liquid calories – Note that you will also be at risk of taking in excessive amounts of calories every day just by drinking sugar-sweetened tea, soda, alcohol, or juice. You can get empty calories from these drinks as they supply you with extra energy without providing any nutritional benefits.
Stick to unsweetened coffee and tea, or just plain water. If you want your water to have some flavor then add a splash of fresh orange or lemon to it. Also, do not mistake dehydration or thirst for hunger. You might be able to satisfy your hunger in between meals by drinking water.
It also helps to eat at regular timed daily. It is because eating on schedule aids in burning calories much quickly. This also helps lessen temptation to snack on sugary and high-fat foods. If possible, create a plan for your breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner for one week. Make sure to stick to the recommended calorie allowance. Having a weekly shopping list and a food diary around also helps you commit to your journey of eating healthy to lose weight.
See Related Article: How to Lose 20 Pounds in A Month